Sunday, September 28, 2008

I think I hate, wait, no, I do fucking hate "mountain climbing"

Yup, after two official outings I have determined that I do indeed hate "mountain climbing" as defined by my acquaintance the PE teacher. Technically, it's hiking, but with the manner of obstacles and absolute lack of path at points, I deem it closer to standard mountain climbing. I believe that my core problem with this climbing is my perspective on the act, which is in direct contrast with the PE teacher. For me, climbing the mountain is a necessary evil I undertake in order to reap the fruits of the labor, being the sweet sights and serene surroundings. If it were up to me we'd hit one peak, chillax at the peak for a long ass time taking in the environs, then head down. The PE teacher sees the climbing as good exercise, which, technically, is correct. But shit, if I'm just doing it to stay in shape, I'd much rather just run around town or play soccer or anything that doesn't possess the same degree of danger. Seriously, we hit the top peak, stopped to eat lunch, then moved on. In some spots we stopped for a matter of seconds to admire the view, then we moved on. Boo. Again, I was badly conned and had my perceptions called into question. I expected from the beginning another strenuous climb, but when I got picked up, I noticed that the Mr. Jeong's kids were coming along as well, so I assumed wrongly, as usual, that the climb would have to be more mild to allow the kids to tag along. The climb was just as nasty as the previous one, actually nastier in spots. Last time there was no trail whatsoever for most of the day; we just winged it as to where to go. This time around there was a trail, but it was difficult to manage at spots. Some areas of the "trail" were simply a shear rock face with a rope to pull yourself up by. Now these trails were tough enough to navigate that I wouldn't recommend it to most adults or anyone not in pretty good condition. So obviously, kids simply should not be anywhere near this mountain, especially 4 and 7 year olds. The blame is entirely that of Mr. Jeong. If your kids arent coordinated enough to tackle the task, and no 3 year old would be, then they shouldn't be on the mountain. I hate to backseat parent, but there is no reason why you should put your kids and as a result, yourself, in that sort of precarious position. Una, the 3 year old, was simply not coordinated enough or strong enough to make it up most of the tricky areas, while her brother Jaean, 7, was coordinated enough to think he could handle the mountain, but not old enough or wise enough to realize that he needs to take his time and make sure he has good footing instead of running around not in control. Since the young'ens clearly needed assistance getting around, and that naturally fell on their father and myself. Climbing up this mountain was difficult enough for me with both hands available to grip, but when I'm told to walk hand in hand with Jaean for the majority of the trip, navigating gets that much harder. To make matters worse, the kids inevitably got tired, and they had to be carried. Yup, I carried a 7 year old on my back for major portions of trip. Beyond the simple extra weight, I now have no hands available as both are being used to support the kid on my back. Not surprisingly, all this extra level of difficulty kinda ruined my enjoyment of the actual views I was privy to. The crown jewel in this altogether irksome day was the fact that Mr. Jeong badly miscalculated how much time we had before sundown, so at the end we were rushing, not smart, as fast as we could down to mountain in order to get back before we lost light. Turns out we weren't fast enough. So now, I'm carrying the sleeping squirt on my back and trying not completely fuck up an ankle or a lot worse with a misstep on terrain I simply can't see. I can't even count the number of times I rolled an ankle thanks to a bad plant foot. In the end, though, we did get back and everyone made it home in one piece. But what really pisses me off more than any of the preceding shit was that when we got down the mountain, it was so late that the Sustainable Agriculture Museum of Yangpyeong had already closed for the night. FUCK! And I was all set to learn about crop cycles and fertilizer and shit. Oh well, looks like I'll be doing this again in 3 weeks, as I've been told that the whole family and myself will be heading to the Seorak Mts. Now I would have no fucking thanks right away, but the Seoraks are THE Mts. in Korea and I've got a free ride there. I can't pass that shit up. Maybe it will turn out better and maybe this time the wife will tag along. She is always "sick" so she never comes along on our trips. Apparently, the phenomenon of women's susceptibility to "headaches" whenever their husband/boyfriend wants something is not just an American thing. Interesting.

No comments: