Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday and Sunday August 8th and 9th: More Beach, More Books, More of the Same

As you might have guessed, the weekend was more of the same rush-rush, busy-busy chaos that had filled the last few days in Moalboal. Wake up around 8 am, read for 2 hours, swim and work out on the lawn, grab my meals, fit in some more reading during the afternoon, then head "downtown" for drinks, pool and dinner around 7. Man, I don't even know how I managed to keep up. Kidding aside, we did manage to make it back out to White Beach again on Saturday and had a much better time of it than previously. We immediately moved to the clean section of beach to avoid the coconuts, flip flops, needles and other goodies. Again, the weather was perfect so we couldn't complain. We even managed to make a new friend, as we met an American guy originally from California, but who now works in Singapore, who was also on vacation. We discussed various things but mostly just what the hell the others country of residence was like. From everything he said, Singapore sounds like a kick ass place. Not like I didn't already know. Someday Singapore, someday.

The evening saw our group awkwardly joining the town disco. Basically, every Saturday evening all the locals and any tourists that are interested wander down to some dirty open air bar/stage or something and shake their respective stuff for several hours. It was certainly convenient for the tourists as the party took place not even a 5 minute walk from our resort or any of the other resorts for that matter. Panagsama Beach and the resorts are situated up and down the coast for a mile or two. Our resort was on the quieter end, down in the south, while the bars and restaurants made up the loud end (understandably) about 15 minutes on foot up the beach from our location. The disco weaseled its right into the middle between the bars and resorts. I originally had zero intention of going to the disco, as I can not, should not, and dare not dance in front of others, as I've been told it causes blindness and sometimes cancer in young children. Ohhh, and I don't like socializing or meeting people. But I was literally (and I'm not being figurative here, he really did grab me by the arm and pull me into the disco) taken into the disco by Graham and told to have fun. I am that lame that a man twice my age is telling me to have fun and enjoy myself. Yikes. The disco was everything that we had expected: dirty, loud, frantic and really really sweaty (which really makes no sense because it was mostly open-air). Despite my best efforts, I did receive some attention, but I sadly didn't reciprocate. As I was wandering past the bar, I had my shirt pulled on several times by I assume interested parties. As much as I approve of and love women being the aggressors (mainly cuz I'm a coward and I'm lazy), I was very hesitant for two reasons: 1) I had no idea whether these ladies were just girls from town or if they were those certain type of females that request cash for their services (and I certainly had no intention of flushing large sums of money down the toilet) 2) Several of the women seemed to have something caught in their throat, perhaps an Adam's Apple (yeah, you never know here), and I also wished to avoid that group. Ohhh, and none of them were attractive. So after a few minutes of standing around awkwardly and wishing I was home reading some book, any book, I hightailed it out of there and went home. To read. It was a close call but I made it out.

No comments: