Saturday, September 12, 2009

Now for something completely different

Well, as a break from vacation recounting, lets discuss the massive changes to yours truly's life since coming back from vacation. And as I'm currently writing this from inside a massive apartment in a quiet area of Seoul (not an oxymoron, I swear) with a good looking job, it would appear that a great many things have indeed changed.

But before I could move into the new job in Seoul, I had to vacate the one in the sticks. Surprisingly, the transition went quite smoothly. The drama, for once, wasn't involving them. Right before I left for Japan, I received a letter from my recruiter who was desperately trying to get a hold of me (on vacation for two weeks with sparse internet, which he did know beforehand) because my application process was on hold because I hadn't submitted a letter of release and proof of employment yet. Cept on the application paperwork it said that those particular documents weren't due until the first paycheck for my new job. So I naturally started to worry until the next day or so (the recruiter mailed the letter on the 14th, I received it on the 16th and got his email on the 17th), when I checked email at Collin's place to find out that, ohhh, the recruiter just called up my school and asked them to fax it over. Face. Desk. Thud. Problem solved. Well, until I arrived home Sunday night to read on the Korea blogs that SMOE (my employer) had just cut 100 jobs out of 600 fall positions as of last Wednesday without much rhyme or reason. Naturally, I was really worried and pissed about the late notice (I don't like 1 in 6 odds). I emailed the recruiter as fast as possible to get a response and he said Monday morning that he was sure that my job was secure, but that I should call SMOE to be sure. Well, when I arrived home Monday evening and turned on my phone to call the SMOE lady, I was bombarded with several text messages from my recruiter. One that I read said "Job cannot be secured. Call SMOE." I freaked out, naturally. Thought about calling our contacts in Istanbul for a possible job there, if I really was sunk here in Seoul. I turned on my PC to check my email and saw that the recruiter had sent a message. This message said "If you don't call SMOE by tomorrow morning, then the job cannot be secured." What the recruiter had done was break up his e-mail into 3 separate texts and sent them. They just were separated in a way that ended up giving me a heart attack. Christ.

So I called SMOE and yes, my job was safe but I had to get my ass into Seoul to do contract signing stuff and visa extension, as I was illegally in Korea as of that Saturday. She was upset that she can never get in touch with me (sorry, its the boonies...we don't get phone reception at work) and told me that I should have scheduled my vacation better. I understand her frustration at not being able to contact me, but my hands were tied. Available weeks for vacation: 3. Weeks of vacation left: 3. Not much wiggle room. Now, I was obviously concerned with being allowed to leave school early on my last and second to last day, as I had asked to leave early once during the whole rest of the year. To my shock, they let me go with no hassle. Maybe since they couldn't squeeze anything more out of me, there was no use in being douchey about stuff. Who knows? Anyways, after 3 hours at immigration and a trip to the SMOE office I was all signed sealed and delivered to the big city.

The last day was a tough one though. Didn't think I'd be sad to leave, but those kids, they get to ya. Both of the older grades gave me little thank you and goodbye messages as well as flowers. The 7th graders went above and beyond, but they are like that. After I had said goodbye to them in English class, they pulled me into their Korean class and presented me with a mini cake, lots of party streamers and confetti and stuff, free hugs from any students brave enough to come on up (I had to bend down quite a bit for some of the little ones), and a short rendition of The Beatles "Yesterday", which they wanted me to finish for them (I had 'em swooning by the end"). Man, that was a good bunch of kids. Some of my favorites from their messages, 7th and 8th graders combined: "Goodbye my love, now send to Seoul. Oh ~ shit! Don't forget me! I can get you ~ haha sorry kidding. You are a very good and funny teather. I can't forget you! than good bye ~ hot pink~ (weird kid, I think the hot pink reference was to the color he wrote it in). "Hey. I sent an e-mail to you. you must send back to me. OK? you must give me your picture. I'll send my recorded voice. I'm a genius. P.S. Thank you for teaching bad words." ("The student" of whom much has been said. I think I'm okay with my legacy being the corrupter of young minds. Besides, now the children can swear effectively in Korean, English and Spanish. Broadening cultural horizons) "I remember you. You are very sexy!" (a male student....ohhhh Korea) "Good luck ~ Seoul is Hell. Here is good. Why go?" (Pretty much encapsulates the students feelings). Sadness all around, but I promised to come back and visit in October, so I will see the little buggers again.

Moving Day. My moving day was hectic to say the least. I decided I would further complicate it by traveling to 25 minutes away by car to watch a soccer tourney with Amy that her quasi-boyfriend was playing in. His tiny little town got smashed 5-0. I also happened to run into the soccer squad from town and they weren't terribly pleased that I had completely stopped playing soccer. I don't think I ever fully explained to the gym teacher why I stopped doing soccer and thus he didn't give them a very good explanation. But being the amiable group they are, they still fed me food and booze with the intention of getting me drunk at 10 in the morning. The strangest moment came when the "Casanova", the guy who ohhhh so long ago wanted to have the penis contest and who demonstrated that his cock was as thick as his arm, came over and just grabbed my junk. No accidental, went to grab for something else, and slipped or something. He just grabbed my crotch. I don't understand. Though I do find it quite funny that for as homophobic and anti-gay as Korea claims to be, they seem to have a lot of straight up gay behavior. Maybe someday they will step outside themselves and realize just how hypocritical they are. But the same could be said for everyone.

Once the game was over, I, with assistance, hailed a taxi back to Yangpyeong by noon. Giving me a total of 1 hour to pack up until the gym teacher arrived to collect the key and phone. Smooth move Eric. In the end, the gym teacher showed up quite late and I was moving like a mother fucker. Total time from absolutely nothing packed at noon to moving out: 2 hours and 30 minutes. Beat that. Course I only had to watch the stuff 2 minutes away to Jethro's apartment where I was holding it for the time being. With everything packed up, it was on to Seoul to rendezvous with the new co-teacher. When I did finally did meet her, I was shocked. Young, attractive, friendly, pretty good English, and easy to talk to. I've met the yin to my former teacher's yang. Her perfect opposite. Just lucky that I would get both. I think I will enjoy working with the new girl. My apartment was in the Southwest of Seoul, but only 20 minutes or so from the major central areas, so no complaints on the area. We chose to take a taxi from the subway to the apartment, even though it was only a 20 minute walk. Yup, 20 minute walk from apartment door to subway. 5-10 minute bus ride from subway to school, which run every couple of minutes. 12 minutes by subway to my capoeira area. 30-40 minutes to my Korean class. Can't ask for much more in location. Then we got to the complex. Wow. Wow. Wow. Now, apparently my school was unable to find an apartment for me, and that's a good thing because I was placed in the dormitory at the Seoul Teachers Training Institute, a complex where Seoul Teachers come to attend workshops, especially for English teaching, as there are several Foreign Teachers who work here teaching teachers. Now, for once in my life, luck was on my side. Not only did I not get my job canceled, but I ended up at the dormitory that only a handful of people get into. Like 20 or so out of several hundred. Let's describe the complex. As you enter you see a full sized grass field for whatever you want (after a year in Korea you would appreciate a legitimate green lawn too), and a swimming pool that is available to use (for a small fee). After moving beyond all the various office buildings you find the dormitory, which houses a legitimate laundry room (washers and dryers!!!!! hooray), a rec room with a ping pong table and pool table, a small fitness room with a decent amount of equipment, and a computer room with free internet (too bad the other wankers living here are always one, so I've yet to actually use it). The apartment itself: massive, compared with my previous apartment and our living conditions back in Madison. Big living room with TV, small stereo system, desktop computer, sofa, and plenty of shelves/bookcases/storage. The kitchen? Kitchen table for 4, monster refrigerator, and more cupboard space then I could possibly use. The there's the bedroom with its massive wardrobes and American (aka soft) mattress. Ohhh did I mention there is a freaking mountain right next door. Yep, 2 minutes walk and I've got all the hiking trails and nature I could possibly want. Plus, I actually get to see tons of green looking out my window. And I can't hear anything but crickets and cicadas. I'll get pictures up soon when I actually retrieve my camera from Jethros.

Having seen the apartment, the co-teacher showed me around to try and find some groceries. 5 or so minutes walk in the opposite direction that we arrived and we hit a major row of apartments and stuff. Thanks to the nearby apartments, the area boasts just about everything I'll need. Small grocery store, video rental store, screen golf, plenty of restaurants (there is a "French" restaurant there and I must try it to see just how bad it might be), plenty of bars, plenty of "barber shops" (wink), post office, cafes and whatever else I may need. I found out that were I to ever get really lazy, my grocery store delivers in case I can't possibly carry the carton of milk the whole 10 minutes. My co-teacher was shocked that I was carrying the groceries home. She seems to be easily impressed with even the slightest feat of strength, toughness, endurance, etc. Which I guess is good because I'm being told I should sleep with her. Namely because she is attractive and speaks English, which says a lot for my standards if that's all it takes. Once we parted ways, it was back to Yangpyeong to pick up the next load of stuff. Moving sucks alot when you have no car to use and have to go from apartment to bus station, ride bus to Seoul, carry it down and through and on and then out of the subway, then back to the apartment. One load of shit on Saturday and 2 on Sunday and I was nearly done, but rather tired.

Finally we come to my new school, Namseong Elementary School. 20 minute walk down the hill to the subway, then 10 minute bus and I'm there. If I ever feel lazy, I can catch a shuttle bus that runs every few minutes between the complex and the subway. The school itself is built on a hill that gives a really cool view over a part of the city. Don't worry I'll take a pic. The school itself is old and cramped, but they are building a new one right behind it, which I'm told we will move into next year. My vice principal and principal are both friendly and lovely older ladies, but I'm afraid their eyesight seems to be very lousy, as they kept talking about how handsome I was. As for the fellow teachers in the office....all ladies. Seems like I'm one of the only sausages at the party. Ohh darn. Now who am I gonna get way too drunk at all the school functions with, sing with increasing volume and decreasing skill, then interact awkwardly with all the still sober female teachers? Shucks. School functions are just not going to be any fun any more. My school was quick to ask me the most pressing of questions, namely if I was married. which coupled with their interest in whether I thought my co-teacher was beautiful, does make you wonder their intentions for me. Is it just me or do you hear the girls from Anatevka singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker"? Maybe its just me. Overall, everyone seems very friendly and less serious (maybe cuz its elementary school) than the previous school, I only meet each class once a week (so I should only have to design one lesson plan a week for each of the 4 grades I teach), and both of my co-teachers seem like they will be fun to work with. We shall see.

No Pics at present, but soon. Soon!

No comments: