Friday, October 10, 2008

Bored...good thing I've got Jesus to keep me company

Well, another week is in the books, so I figured I'd recap the less than exciting aspects of the week past. I had absolutely no work to do after Monday since the students were all taking midterms. Midterms were interesting to observe in themselves as they basically amounted to ACT or SAT exams, as everyone in the school had to move their desks down into the cafeteria and took their tests in that big room. Everyone was forced to be there for the whole time, regardless of whether they actually had an exam. After 3 45 minute exams, two 15 minute breaks in between, and lunch our days were done, at least for the students and myself. So I had to catch the bus with some of the students, which was interesting in itself as today I was accompanied back to Yangpyeong with 9 of the 7th and 8th grade girls...Suffice it to say there was plenty of whispering, giggling and the occasional "Hi Eric!". With this shortened schedule, I arrived home at 1:15pm, with little to do, as the gym teacher and the fellow soccer club members were still working, so that shoots Korean tutoring and soccer. I decided I would wander around town and finally get a definitive idea of what my town has to offer. My final verdict: not much. I really shouldn't expect too much as Yangpyeong is only 80,000 strong and it has plenty compared to my previous homes (ohhhh Oshkosh...). The town is roughly dissected into 3 sections: the area north of the Train tracks, the area south of the Han river, and the central section. I live north of the train tracks, and it is comprised mainly of restaurants (like all of town), the golf/driving range, the bus depot, the Walmart-esque super store and the major electronics store. South of the Han river is made up of more restaurants and a few apartments and hotels with a pretty view over the river. Most of anything of consequence is housed in the central downtown area. When I say there are tons of restaurants, I'm not exaggerating. Honest to god, restaurants/bars alone are about 50%, at least, of all buildings and businesses in town. Throw in convenience stores and PC bongs (rooms where kids go to play video games for many hours for a hourly rate...when I say play video games, I mean Starcraft), and you've covered close to 70% of the structures in town. Which leaves me with little to do if I don't feel like eating, drinking, or playing Starcraft. After searching the town up and down, I found 2 tiny music stores, a movie rental place, an arcade, a bowling alley, a soccer store, and a few bookstores. The arcade and bookstores were disappointments as the arcade didn't have any DDR-esque games, only 1 Beatmania machine, and the bookstores offered nothing in English, no surprise. That's probably good as I have so many unread books cluttering my room back in the states. I just hope I can hold out until Christmas when, hopefully, reinforcements arrive. Now I just need to find some people to enjoy all these things with, as bowling, drinking, noribong singing, etc. are not much fun alone. I did actually communicate with someone on the street today!! Unfortunately, she was some religious lady handing out little pamphlets on how something fun and wonderful is the devil and we're all going to hell for enjoying it. I was just so excited that I found someone that speaks even kinda decent English that I took the pamphlet with hesitation. Plus she had her name and phone number on the pamphlet...Ohhh yeah, I pulled a number! Score! Hmmmm, maybe not... This simply continues my trend of being the target of missionaries. I'm not sure what draws these people to me. Is it the stench of sin and vice that I give off or is it the sense that I'm some poor pathetic fuck who really needs Jesus in order to give his worthless life some semblance of meaning? Must be a little bit of both.

No comments: